Instant Pot Smoked Salmon Risotto is my new favorite risotto recipe to make in my pressure cooker! It’s a little different from my other pressure cooker risotto recipes which include Instant Pot Chicken and Mushroom Risotto and my delicious Pressure Cooker Risotto with Leeks, Peas, and Lemon
Making Risotto in your Instant Pot is the easiest thing ever, you don’t need to stand at your stove wondering if your pot of rice is going to cook properly, you simply add it to your pot, punch in the programmed time and you’re good to go!
TIPS FOR MAKING INSTANT POT SMOKED SALMON RISOTTO
- It’s important to measure your rice and broth accurately, this will help create a creamy Instant Pot smoked salmon risotto.
- homemade chicken broth is the best choice for this recipe, but store bought will work if you don’t have time to make your own.
- If you’re not a big fan of the ‘raw’ texture of smoked salmon, you’ll be glad to know that it basically cooks off very quickly when you stir it into the hot risotto
- You might have to cook the rice using the saute setting for a few more minutes after you open the pressure cooker to reduce the liquid a little more. It doesn’t take long but you’ll need to watch so that the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom.
This post contains affiliate links
WHICH RICE IS BEST FOR RISOTTO?
The best risotto rices are short grain rice varieties such as Aroborio or Carnaroli. Arborio is the most common here in the USA and you can find it in almost every supermarket and grocery store. Both those varieties of short grain rice are high in starch which creates a more creamy risotto.
CAN YOU COOK RISOTTO WITH WHITE RICE?
The short answer is no, you can’t make risotto with long grain white rice, it simply won’t cook up in the same way as it’s not as very starchy and it’s better suited for making pilaf than risotto.
Join our Gluten Free Pressure Cooker Group!
Have you joined our Gluten Free Pressure Cooker Facebook group yet? If you’re looking for a place to share and find more gluten free pressure cooker recipes, learn how to use your new pressure cooker, or simply ask for gluten free advice, tips and recipe ideas then don’t miss out on all the fun!
If you’ve already joined, be sure to add your friends who love pressure cookers!
MORE PRESSURE COOKER RECIPES!
- Pressure Cooker Cincinnati Chili
- Pressure Cooker Potato Salad
- Pressure Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Pressure Cooker Apple Pie Oats
WATCH INSTANT POT RECIPE VIDEO!
I’ve got a quick recipe video right here for my Instant Pot Smoked Salmon Risotto that shows you the step by step details of how I made it and all the ingredients used, just press the play button to watch it. The full printable recipe is at the end of the post.
Pressure Cooker Smoked Salmon Risotto with Mascarpone
Easy weeknight dinner with Pressure Cooker Smoked Salmon Risotto with Lemon and Mascarpone cheese!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1.5 cups Arborio rice 12 oz, or 350g
- 3.5 cups gluten free chicken broth - low sodium 700mls
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp Italian parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese 118 mls
- 4oz smoked salmon chopped, 113g
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- lemon juice to taste
In the inner pot of your Instant Pot or other pressure cooker, turn on the saute function, add the oil and saute the onions and garlic for about 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Turn off the saute function.
Add the gluten free chicken broth and the Arborio rice and stir.
Add the lid and lock it. Turn the steam release vent to 'sealing' and using the 'manual' or 'pressure cook' setting, adjust it to cook for 5 minutes at High Pressure.
It will take about 7-10 minutes to come to pressure.
When the cook time is up release the pressure right away (QR, or quick release) and carefully open the lid.
Taste the rice and see if it's soft enough for your liking, if not, cook for a few minutes more using the 'saute' setting on your pressure cooker, adding a little more both if needed.
Add the lemon zest, parsley, mascarpone cheese, most of the smoked salmon (reserve a little salmon for garnish) and stir well until it's all mixed together. If you prefer a more soupy consistency to your risotto simply add a little more chicken broth and stir.
taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
Serve your Instant Pot Smoked Salmon Risotto hot with a little smoked salmon garnish on top and a squeeze of lemon juice.
adapted from BBC